American Studies and Culture Graduate Program
Student Learning Outcomes
Student learning outcomes for the graduate program in American studies include the following:
- Demonstrate broad, critical, and interdisciplinary knowledge of American culture both historically and in the contemporary context, as well as nationally and in a global context.
- Synthesize knowledge from several disciplinary perspectives and think critically about the limits of disciplinary knowledge domains.
- Analyze primary source evidence from written, visual, and oral genres.
- Identify and employ primary and secondary source materials located through library and online scholarly research tools.
- Design and complete original research in the discipline and an interdisciplinary area of specialization.
- Write clear, publishable analytic prose scholarship.
- Contribute critically to professional and to public conversations about American culture.
- Teach undergraduate curriculum in American and ethnic studies effectively.