Doctoral degree in American Studies
How to Apply
Below are guidelines on applying for admission to the American Studies Ph.D. degree program:
- Fill out the WSU Graduate School “Request Information” form and select the appropriate degree under “Graduate Area of Interest.”
- Review the Graduate School’s admission page. Note that some information will be submitted through the online application and other materials will be submitted to the Graduate School under separate cover or directly to the SLCR office.
- Create a CollegeNET account. Log in and begin your application. You may save a partially completed application and return to it later as needed.
- On the application’s fourth screen, you will need to select your intended program of study. Once selected, the application requirements specific to American Studies will be available on the next screen.
In order to be considered for admission, you must complete all sections of the online application, including whether or not you are seeking a teaching and/or research assistantship.
The application fee is payable to the Graduate School when you submit your application.
Criteria for Evaluating Applications
The American studies program will evaluate your application based on the following, listed in rough order of importance:
- Writing Sample
A recent sample of scholarly or critical writing (15–20 pages).
- A Statement of Purpose
Describe your intellectual areas of interest, and why you believe the American studies program at WSU is a good place for you to pursue those interests. Also mention any teaching experience you have had.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
Request letters on institutional letterhead from persons capable of evaluating your qualifications for graduate study, professional potential, and, if applying for a teaching assistantship, your abilities as a teacher. Once you submit your application, your references will be contacted automatically through the online application system and asked to submit a recommendation form electronically.
- Academic Transcripts
Your most recent undergraduate and/or relevant graduate transcripts. If you attended Washington State University, you do not need to submit transcripts from WSU as these are available to the Graduate School.
- Language Proficiency (for international students)
Please have TOEFL scores sent to the WSU Graduate School directly from the Educational Testing Service.
Neither the GRE nor any other standardized test is a requirement for admission to the American studies program.