As an inter- and transdisciplinary unit weaving the humanities and the social sciences, the School of Languages, Cultures, and Race fosters the following values:
- Applied learning and competency in world cultures and languages.
- Applied learning and competency in social constructions and cultural understandings of race and race relations.
- Inclusivity, respect for all cultures and national backgrounds, and a true understanding of cultural diversity.
- Excellence in teaching.
- Career placement and advancement of our students through active participation in university efforts to improve all aspects of undergraduate and graduate education.
- Scholarship that fosters creativity, innovation, and social/cultural understandings through research activities and involvement in professional organizations.
- We foster partnerships and relationships with other units in the WSU system to advance the university’s global initiatives.
- We facilitate intercultural experiences for WSU faculty, students, and staff on campus and abroad through consulting, workshops, and public talks.