** SPRING 2021 **
** DETAILS WILL BE FORTHCOMING SOON – CHECK BACK **
The STAMP exam for SPRING 2021 will be online and proctored through AVANT. Please read this page for full details and sign up.
Avant STAMP (Standards-Based Measurement of Proficiency) is an internationally recognized web-based test that assesses language proficiency. An Avant STAMP 4S test has four sections: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Avant STAMP 4S test questions are based on real-world, everyday situations. Avant STAMP 4S measures a test taker’s language ability according to Benchmark Levels that are based on ACTFL national standards. Test results will indicate the level of proficiency achieved for each section of the test.
The Avant STAMP exam is used by the School of Languages Cultures & Race as a proficiency-level exit exam.
Honors students STAMP Proficiency: If you need to take the STAMP proficiency exam to satisfy the Honors College foreign language requirement of the 204 language level, please contact email@example.com for scheduling or visit the Honors College website for more information.
International Business students: please contact your advisor in the Carson College of Business with questions. The proficiency of the 204 language level is required. Business students may take the exam in these four languages: Chinese, French, German or Spanish. For Fall 2020, we have reserved Tuesday, December 1 for Business students to complete the exam. Please sign up and MAKE SURE you add the date to your calendar.
Foreign Languages Major and Minors: Foreign Languages major and minor students are required to take the exam at the end of the semester in which they are enrolled in the final language course of their major or minor degree program. If you have already completed your courses last semester, you NEED to complete the requirement and take the exam.
- WSU mandates the assessment of student proficiency at the end of the major and minor degree programs, and the results from these exams are used to improve the quality of our academic programs.
Exam Completion Required:
- Students must complete ALL four parts and sections of the exam and ALL four parts and sections must be gradable. If it is noted that the student did not complete all parts and sections of the exam, students will be notified that they are required to retake the exam.
- The exam cost is $29.99. Please expect/look out for an e-mail with instructions to take the exam the week PRIOR to the test date you have chosen to sign up.
Languages and Cultures majors and minors:
International Business Students:
** NOTES & PROCEDURES FOR FALL 2020 **
MANDATORY STAMP EXAM INFORMATION SESSION
- STAMP Exit Exam Information Session will be held on Thursday, November 19th at 4:10pm on ZOOM. A ZOOM link will be sent to all students who have registered to take the exam.
STAMP Exit Exam schedule and information for Fall 2020
- IMPORTANT REQUIRED PRELIMINARY PREPARATION – Please see this AVANT STAMP Test Taker Guide that lists computer and other requirements for Remote Proctoring, an Overview, and tips for taking the exam. This site includes several guides, helpful information to make sure your computer is exam-ready, and a practice exam. Click on the link below:
EXAM DATES SIGN UP (choose one): No time is specified – the time will be at your own convenience on that day.
- Monday, November 30
- Tuesday, December 1 (Business as well as language minor and majors can choose this date)
- Wednesday, December 2
- Thursday, December 3
- Closing Date for sign up is: Friday, November 27th at 11:59 pm.
- Proctored Online, Registration Link to be provided.
EXAM SIGN UPS FOR FALL 2020 are NOW CLOSED:
Click here to sign up for the STAMP exam
Although you will be signing up for a date to take the exam, the Avant Registration Link for taking the exam will be provided the week prior to the test, and will be e-mailed to you!
For more information or assistance, please contact Sonia Lopez-Lopez, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do all foreign language majors and minors have to take the exam?
I am an Honors student and have already taken the STAMP exam. Do I have to take it again?
Yes. You will need to take the exam for your language major or minor degree program. The Honors STAMP exam was for the assessment of the language 204 level requirement for the Honors College, while this exam is for the continuance of advanced language in the minor and major areas.
I am a Business student, and a requirement in my major says I need to take the STAMP exam.
Business students may sign up for the STAMP in any of these four languages: Chinese, French, German or Spanish. Business Students should sign up for the day of Tuesday, December 1, 2020.
When and Where am I required to take the exam?
The STAMP exam is offered each Fall and Spring semester. In Fall 2020, the exam will be proctored online.
Foreign Languages major and minor students are required to take the exam at the end of the semester in which they are enrolled in the final language course of their major or minor degree program.
Remember, this exam tests the student’s ability to read, speak and write spontaneously in the language of study, and we like our students to do their best!
How long is the exam?
The exam can take up to three hours to complete.
When will I receive my exam results?
Exam results will be e-mailed individually within 2-3 weeks of having taken the exam.