Formed in 2018, the School of Languages, Cultures, and Race offers exciting opportunities in education, research, study abroad, and community involvement for both undergraduate and graduate students.
Centered on cultivating deep transdisciplinary understanding of linguistic, cultural, national, social, and racial perspectives within the U.S. and in a global context, the school provides students with key knowledge, skills, and experience for success in an increasingly diverse and integrated global society.
We invite you to explore our website and to stop by the main office in Thompson Hall, room 110, to say hello. You can also read about the formation of SLCR and the school’s director in the College of Arts & Sciences Story Hub.
Palouse French Film Festival 2022
Dear students, faculty, staff, alumni and Friends, mark your calendars!! This October marks the twelfth edition of the Annual Palouse French Film Festival. As always, the films will be shown (with English subtitles) at the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre in Moscow at 7pm. And as always, the films are free to students. Come join us! See the lineup below. We look forward to seeing you there!
Notice of Vacancy (Fall 2023)
Assistant Professor Position (starting Fall 2023) Join us!
The School of Languages, Cultures, and Race at Washington State University invites applications for a permanent, full-time, nine-month, tenure-track Assistant Professor in Ethnic Studies and American Studies and Culture position in Pullman, WA, with a specialty in Health Inequities. We seek applicants whose research focuses on Health inequities within the United States or does comparative work between groups in the United States and groups in other countries. For more details or to apply, please go here: https://wsu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WSU_Jobs/details/Assistant-Professor_R-6643?q=r-6643
Screening of applications will begin on November 1, 2022
Director of SLCR Position NOV (starting Fall 2023) Join Us!
The School of Languages, Cultures, and Race at Washington State University is also looking for a Director for the next academic year. SLCR is a unique and exciting academic unit, bringing together scholars working in diverse areas and disciplines. Together with the school’s current faculty and staff, the Director is expected to serve within and across those multiple disciplines, sustaining core academic areas while also developing linkages and collaborations between the school’s different components. The successful candidate is expected to have an exceptional record of collaborative leadership in research, education, and service in one of the following areas: Ethnic Studies, American Studies, Japanese Studies and Japanese American Studies, or Latino/a American Studies and Spanish. Applications are invited for a permanent full-time 9-month, tenure eligible position at the rank of full professor with a summer appointment connected to duties as director. Successful candidates will be expected to begin the four (4) year renewable appointment as Director on August 16, 2023. For more details or to apply, please go here: https://wsu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WSU_Jobs/job/Director-and-Professor-of-School-of-Languages–Cultures–and-Race_R-7110
Some Facts about SLCR
What can you do after graduating with one of our Majors? Explore below the videos from Candid Careers.com and ideas from other sources
Comparative Ethnic Studies
- Ethnic Studies https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/what-you-do-with-ethnic-studies-degree (This is not a video)
- Critical Media and Cultural Studies https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=c&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
- Cultural Studies https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=c&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
- Asian American Studies https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=a&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
- Black Studies https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=b&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
- Humanities https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/humanities-major-jobs (This is not a video)
Languages and Cultures
- Foreign Languages https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=f&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
- Chinese https://joyofchinese.com/career-in-chinese/ (This is not a video)
- French https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=f&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
- German https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=g&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
- Japanese https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/japanese-major-jobs (This is not a video)
- Spanish https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=s&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
- Social Sciences https://www.candidcareer.com/channel_filter.php?type=major&filter=s&viewtype=thumb&f=sv
News & Events
- CES major Yubi Lojewski won WSU’s Community, Equity, and Social Justice Award for WSU Students. Yubi was the only undergraduate student to win the award. For a video of the awards, please go here. The award for Lojewski begins at the 3:51 mark. She is introduced by the nominating faculty member, Dr. John Streamas (Associate Professor of CES)
- Interview with John Streamas about his work in Washington State Magazine
- Director Carmen R. Lugo-Lugo and Professor Mary K. Bloodsworth-Lugo (CES) published an article titled “Narratives of Infectious Threat and Contagion Crises in Contemporary Immigration Rhetoric” in the journal Label Me Latina/o.
- Get the Scoop on SLCR News here.
Support scholarships, research, and experiential learning opportunities.