Associate Professor of Comparative Ethnic Studies
Associate Professor of American Studies and Culture
Ph.D., American Culture Studies: Bowling Green State University, 2001
Graduate Certificate, Ethnic Studies: Bowling Green State University, 2001
M.A., English: Syracuse University, 1981
A.B., English: Miami University, 1977
I immigrated from Japan. My mother was a war bride. I have worked in proofreading and copyediting, syntactic analysis, statistical clerking, manual writing, and periodical distribution. I have taught writing and literature courses, creative writing, ethnic studies, and American studies.
I am interested in the narrative and racial politics of time and space, the implications of color and colorism, and the Japanese American experience during World War II. Recently, I have explored the vexed relationship between higher education and people of color.
I teach the literatures and cultures of people of color, cultural theory, immigration, and writing.
Recent & Forthcoming Publications
- “Asia-Pessimism: Modeling a Revolution in Failure,” in The Comparatist 43 (2019): 112-24.
- “A Vision for Scholar-Activists of Color,” in Journal of Academic Freedom volume 10 (2019). www.aaup.org/sites/default/files/streamas.pdf.
- “East by Northwest: Preserving Pacific War Memory at Hanford and Minidoka.” Dark Tourism in the American West. Ed. Jennifer Dawes. Palgrave Macmillan, 2019.
- “How I Lost my Academic Freedom: Difference and the Teaching of Ethnic Studies.” In Teaching with Tension: Race Resistance and Realities in the Classroom. Eds. Philathia Bolton, Cassander Smith, and Lee Bebout. Northwestern UP, 2019.
- “Not Same, Not Different: Counting Temporalities in Peter Malekin’s Alchemy of Time and Ruth Ozeki’s Time Being.” Time, Consciousness, and Writing: Peter Malekin Illluminating the Divine Darkness . Eds. Robert Eddy and Theo Malekin. Brill Rodopi, 2018.
- “A Mottled Minority: Asian American in the Whitening Academy.” From the Outside: Narratives from the Othered in the Academy. Eds. Jo Davis-McElligatt, Keith Dorwick, and Sandosh Khadka. Routledge, 2018.
- “The Real War That Got into the Movies: Eastwood and Spielberg in the Pacific.” The Films of Clint Eastwood: Critical Perspectives. Eds. Matt Wanat and Leonard Engel. University of Utah Press, 2018.
- “Self-Portrait Time Machine.” Time’s News 47.2 (April 2016). 10-12.
- “Punch the Clock.” Time’s News 47.2 (April 2016). 10-12.
- “The Great Ball of Life: A Theory of the Universe in Seven Observations.” Time’s News 47.2 (April 2016). 10-12.
Thompson Hall 17
- Amer_St/Women_St 216
- Amer_St 506
- Amer_St 520
- Amer_St 590
- CES 101
- CES 111
- CES 211
- CES 220
- CES 244
- CES 301
- CES 304
- CES 313
- CES 314
- CES 380
- CES 401
- CES 405
- CES 413
- CES 440
- CES 491
- CES 494